Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In all its glory!

This is the Judean Wilderness. Its so barren. But really fascinating too because it looks just like the back of the Bible picture. It is usually dry and hot but the day we went it was beautiful with a rain cloud on top. It was gorgeous. We were able to sing "Dear to the Heart of the Shepard". It was an amazing experience. We even got a little animal surprise. :)

This is the tel Jericho. It is a small mound from far away but this was all that the Old Testament Jericho at the time when the walls came a tumblin down. haha It has been excavated through the center a little bit but we were able to look around at see the remnants of the walls and houses. It was extremely humid.

So we were in the parking lot of the tel Jericho and they had markets with fresh citrus. I am not a fan of any citrus because of the peeling process. You have to peel it and then the citrus scent gets on your hands and sticks for a long time. Anyway so when I walked out into the parking lot, my friends had just gotten a sample of a Pamelo. Its like a grapefruit and orange together. They got it for free and so they were like ask him to open another one. So I did. But he was like you want to pay for it. And it was really cheep so I was like okay I might as well. So i did, he started opening it up it has an extremely thick peel. Then as soon as he was done he plopped in on my head, it kind of hurt and I was not ready for it. So I took it right off, the last thing I wanted was my head smelling like citrus. :) But then I was like I might as well take a picture, so I was about to take a picture and he was like no hold up. He ran over to his fresh banana bunch started peeling it and stuck it in my mouth, put his arm around me and we took a picture. Then I got on the bus and shared the Pamelo and ended up not even trying it. haha it was a pretty interesting experience to have a Pamelo peel on your head.

This is what they think was Christs Tomb in the Garden Tomb. We went on a Saturday because that is considered Sabbath (Shabbot in Hebrew) in Israel. It was a gorgeous garden, we were able to sing the hymns inside. It was spiritually uplifting. I loved it, I will definitly be going frequently.

This is me and Megan out side the Garden Tomb.

This is at the Haas Promanade Overlook. It was a gorgeous view over looking the city of Jerusalem.

We were able to walk the walls of the Old City. So this is sitting in the Ramparts. It was so fun to see the multi-layed city, because the first level is markets and then the second and third are peoples homes. It kind of looked like Aladdin with the Laundry and everything.

This is at the Tomb of the Rock where they think that Abraham was going to sacrifice Isaac. We are actually on the grounds.


This is Orson Hyde Park. It was gorgeous and its on the Mount of Olives, it leads to the Garden of Gethesmane. Its owned by the church that is why it is kept so nice, but to get there its pretty risky because of the surrounding area. But once you are inside you are good to go. It was a wonderful to sit and ponder while overlooking the city of Jerusalem.

1 comment:

  1. What amazing experiences! I wish your pictures were bigger so I could see more detail. But I love what you write and the fun experiences you share.

    ReplyDelete