Monday, November 29, 2010

Amazing Woman

“DaLynn, slow down, it is not a race!” Was what she used to say to me during every piano lesson, “You will sound a lot better if you don’t try to go so fast.” The faster I finished the quicker I could get my hands into her DELICOUS treats, my favorite were her peanut butter kiss cookies, or maraschino cherry cookies.
Walking into her house to the smell of FRESH homemade bread, or scrumptious pies was almost expected every visit. Her bed was ALWAYS made, the living room was in pristine condition, vacuumed orange carpets, grocery lists on the fridge, and a huge curl dryer on the table. She would KINDLY direct us to the toys downstairs or if we were lucky we could play with the toys under the oven. After playing downstairs for a while, she would come down and ask if we wanted an ice cream cup with a wooden stick. But she would say, “PLEASE go eat it outside.” And we were quietly reminded to shut the door on our way out. We would say, “Can we watch a movie?” Even though we only had the option of Cinderella, so she would say there is SO many better things to do. Sometimes she would say, “Do you want to come back to Audra’s room.” This was a huge treat, Audra’s room! Wow how COOL! And then she would show us her newest sewing project. Which was ALWAYS for someone else. Maybe even ME. My birthday was NEVER forgotten, I think I got the same ABC cookbook twice, but it didn’t matter, I loved it just the same. Playing in the doll house was an ALL TIME favorite; take your shoes off before you go in! Upon leaving there was always a SWEET warm hug with her very strong hands. But what I will never forget is the sweet legacy she left. As I was at the hospital this weekend with her, I know she doesn’t know me and doesn't remember a single thing, yet as she was trembling her hands, I put my hand on hers and she played with my finger, I could feel her ever present spirit radiating and it comforted me as I started to bawl. I will never forget her wonderful example. Love you Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful DaLynn. What a sweet tribute. I love her too.

    ReplyDelete